Whilst making a will is the best way to ensure your personal belongings are distributed according to your wishes, we are all too aware of the issues that arise when a will is not made correctly and disputes occur over the validity of a will or trust.
Our specialist Disputed Probate Team draws together lawyers who have expert knowledge on all aspects of wills, probate and tax planning, dispute resolution and property law, providing you with the comprehensive advice and guidance you need to resolve even the most complex of situations.
Head of Department and Partner, Craig Ridge is a member of STEP (the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners) as is Wills, Probate & Lifetime Planning Partner Margaret Rowe who is also affiliated with SFE (Solicitors for the Elderly). This means you have only the most highly qualified and experienced of lawyers handling your case. We act on behalf of executors, administrators, trustees and beneficiaries including charities.
The Team is able to provide comprehensive advice and support on a number of issues in this area including:
- Disputed wills
- Disputes between executors and beneficiaries
- Bringing or defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 – some family members and dependents are eligible to make a claim when someone has died, should the deceased's will not make reasonable financial provision to support them
- Promises, assurances and conduct - instances where claims can be made where assurances by the deceased were made which are not reflected by either the relevant will or the intestacy rules
- Negligence claims
- Contentious applications to the Court of Protection including applications in relation to Statutory Wills
- Professional negligence in relation to wills, trusts and/or estates
Legal 500 2016: The Disputed Probate Team were recognised as a first tier team of the Contentious Trusts and Probate Category within the West Midlands.
"A recent highlight for FBC Manby Bowdler LLP was advising a client who acted as the executor and beneficiary of an estate with assets in the UK and another jurisdiction. Department head Craig Ridge and solicitor Kimberly Mears are recommended."
If you have an enquiry in relation to a disputed probate matter or simply want to speak to a member of our friendly Team for further information and guidance, please use the request a call back or make an enquiry option to get in touch.