Permission In Principle.

Permission in Principle (PiP) is an alternative to the traditional method of obtaining outline or full planning permission to develop land.

We also advise in relation to the Permission in Principle (PiP) process. PiP is an alternative to the traditional method of obtaining outline or full planning permission to develop land. PiP is granted in the following ways:

  1. Where a Local Planning Authority decides to enter previously developed land on to Part 2 of its Brownfield Land Register; and
  2. Where an application for PiP has been made by a landowner/developer in relation to a specific piece of land.

It will also be possible (once the secondary legislation has been introduced) to obtain PiP via the site allocation process in a local development plan or neighbourhood plan.

Employment Law

Permission in Principle (PiP)

Applications by landowners/developers for PiP can be made from 1 June 2018, and can be made for developments which are ‘mainly’ for housing, and which comprise no more than 9 dwellings, have less than 1,000 sq.m of commercial space, and are on a site of less than 1 hectare.

The application process offers those who are ‘taking a chance’ on smaller sites a cheaper way of establishing whether the principle of development on the site is acceptable, when compared to making a conventional application for outline or full permission. The process will also be quicker; Local Planning Authorities will have 5 weeks to determine an application for PiP, compared to 8 weeks for a conventional application. If they do not meet the deadline (and no extension of time is agreed), the landowner/developer can appeal to the Secretary of State. An appeal can also be lodged if an application for PiP is refused.

When PiP is granted it must be followed by an application for Technical Details Consent, which covers the more detailed aspects of the scheme. An application for Technical Details Consent must be determined within 5 years of the land being entered in the Brownfield Land Register, or within 3 years of a Local Planning Authority granting PiP.

Suzanne Tucker

Working With Our Service Team

Adding value to your property assets means successfully negotiating the maze of planning and environmental regulations and liabilities. Our experienced and expert team provide strategic and proactive advice to help you deliver on the legal aspects required.

- Suzanne Tucker

If you have an enquiry in relation to Town and County Planning or want to speak to a member of our expert team, please get in touch.

Get in Touch

Did you know we offer a free legal review to all businesses?

Frequently Asked Questions

Make an Enquiry

If you have a legal enquiry and would like to speak to one of our specialist team, please get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.

Start Now

Meet Your Lawyers

Suzanne Tucker


View Profile

What Our Clients Say

We once again have received excellent service from the Town and Country Planning department in advising us in regards to land subject to a DCO and dealing with potential CPO matters. The department was also ably supported by other members of team, when it came no negotiating the disposal of some of the land-holding.

Suzanne Tucker

Mr F


Great planning advice. Wouldn't go anywhere else 10/10.

Suzanne Tucker

Mr E