FBCMB has acted as independent legal advisers to the Bishop of Lichfield and the Diocese of Lichfield for 30 years.
Niall Blackie is the Lichfield Diocesan Registrar and is the Bishop's Legal Secretary, Deputy Diocesan Registrar is Andrew Wynne and the Registry Assistant is Alex Chong. Together they are responsible for providing advice to the Bishop and senior clergy and to the Diocese and its Synod and Board of Finance; they also advise parishes, their clergy and lay officers.
The main work of the Registry, apart from specific advice on particular legal questions, are:
• The licensing of clergy who operate in the Diocese;
• The consecration or licensing of buildings used for public worship;
• The management of the system of Patronage dealing with the presentation of appropriate candidates to the Bishop for appointment as Rectors or Vicars;
• The management of the legal aspects of vacancies in Benefices (that is, when incumbents leave) or the suspension of the right to present a candidate to fill a vacancy;
• Advice on church law relating to baptism, marriage and burial, including the grant of common marriage licences to those who are unable to marry under Banns, for whatever reason.;
• Advice about the regulations concerning Pastoral Schemes altering benefices, parishes or the status of consecrated land.
Niall Blackie also provides advice on the Diocese of Lichfield’s website. His advice on covers:
• Marriage and Baptism
• Churches and Churchyards
• Parochial Governance
• Chancel Repair Liability
For more information, feel free to make an enquiry or request a call back by completing the form below.