Whilst making a Will is the best way to ensure your personal belongings are distributed according to your wishes, we are all too aware of the issues that arise when a Will is not made correctly and disputes occur over the validity of a Will or Trust.
Our specialist Disputed Probate Team draws together solicitor's who have expert knowledge on all aspects of Wills, Probate and Tax planning, Dispute Resolution and Property Law, providing you with the comprehensive advice and guidance you need to resolve even the most complex of situations.
Head of Department and Partner, Craig Ridge is a member of STEP (the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners) as is Wills, Probate & Lifetime Planning Partner Margaret Rowe who is also affiliated with SFE (Solicitors for the Elderly). This means you have only the most highly qualified and experienced of lawyers handling your case. We act on behalf of executors, administrators, trustees and beneficiaries including charities.
The Team is able to provide comprehensive advice and support on a number of issues in this area including:
- Disputed wills
- Disputes between executors and beneficiaries
- Bringing or defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 – some family members and dependents are eligible to make a claim when someone has died, should the deceased's will not make reasonable financial provision to support them
- Promises, assurances and conduct - instances where claims can be made where assurances by the deceased were made which are not reflected by either the relevant will or the intestacy rules
- Negligence claims
- Contentious applications to the Court of Protection including applications in relation to Statutory Wills
- Professional negligence in relation to wills, trusts and/or estates
Legal 500 2019: The Disputed Probate Team were recognised as a Top Tier team in the West Midlands.
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP is 'extremely good in terms of its response times, efficiency, accessibility, subject knowledge, advice and understanding'.
Craig Ridge leads the team and is 'excellent at cutting through the family wrangling' and 'able to distil complicated factual situations into a succinct case'. Another key figure is the Telford-based family law specialist Philip Cowell, who is 'extremely efficient' and 'quick to respond'. Also recommended is associate Kimberly Mears and STEP practitioner Margaret Rowe.
Partner and Head of the Disputed Probate Team, Craig Ridge, is recognised as a ‘leading individual' alongside Associate Kimberly Mears, who is recognised as a ‘next generation lawyer’ in the Legal 500 ‘elite lawyers’ list.
If you have an enquiry in relation to a disputed probate matter or simply want to speak to a member of our team, feel free to request a call back or make an enquiry.