Media Hub

Family devastated by death of engineer after Covid vaccine
28 Jul 2022

The family of a Suffolk engineer who died just three weeks after being given the Astra Zeneca Covid vaccine have spoken about their anguish ahead of potential legal action.

Jack Last, of Stowmarket, was just 27 when he died from catastrophic bleeds on the brain after developing a blood clot. He died at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge on April 20 last year, 11 days after he attended A&E at West Suffolk Hospital because of severe headaches.

Now his devastated family has instructed clinical negligence specialists at Midlands law firm FBC Manby Bowdler after raising concerns about the circumstances leading to Jack’s death.

Jack’s sister, Jasmine, paid tribute to her “happy and funny” younger brother.

She said: “Jack had so many more plans and adventures that he had told us about, and we are totally heartbroken that he won’t do any of them.

“Jack was so happy, all of the time, and he loved everything about life. He was always smiling.

“Jack enjoyed being outdoors, rain or shine. He had an adventurous character – he was a black route skier, and enjoyed walking, hiking and camping. He held a private pilot’s licence in both the UK and USA and would often tell us to look out for him as he flew over East Anglia.”

Lawyer Michael Portman-Hann, an Associate with FBC Manby Bowdler’s Medical Negligence team, said: “Jack’s parents, Mike and Tracy, and his sister Jasmine have all been left bereft by the loss of Jack, whose absence leaves a huge hole in their lives.

“Concerns about the risk of blood clots in under-30s who had the Astra Zeneca vaccine were already being aired in health circles, and just a week after Jack had his vaccine, it was withdrawn from use in this age group.

“Jack went to West Suffolk A&E with severe headaches and was moved to Addenbrooke's Hospital on April 11 after he started to get a bleed on the brain.

“Due to the family’s concerns about Jack’s treatment after the vaccine, we are supporting them to find some answers.” 

After an engineering apprenticeship with agricultural machinery company Claas, during which Jack had spent six months working in New Zealand, he spent six months working for the British Antarctic Survey, driving a traverse across the ice shelf in Antarctica to drop scientific equipment.

At the time of his death, he was working as a construction engineer for Finning CAT.

Jasmine said: “Jack’s happiness and life have been stolen. We miss him so, so much and we need answers.”

A pre-inquest review will be held on August 11 following which a full inquest will be listed.

Meet Michael Portman-Hann