Recognising that taking out a mortgage can be stressful, it is good to understand the legal process behind such a huge financial investment.
This page aims to help you understand the journey ahead and our fees* involved for such a transaction.
Conveyancers Fees & Disbursements
Legal fee: £500
Fee for acting on behalf of the mortgage lender: £0
Search fees: £306
Electronic money transfer fee: £0
VAT payable fee: £100
Estimated Sub Total: £600
These fees are based on the transaction being undertaken by our residential conveyancing team. There are occasions when a transaction, whilst including residential conveyancing services, also involves wider matters and is not therefore a solely residential transaction. In these instances, if we feel it would be in your best interests for your conveyancing instructions to be dealt with by a team who are better placed to also advise on those wider elements (or indeed if you make a specific request for this to be the case) your matter will be placed with the relevant specialist team rather than transfer the instructions to the residential conveyancing team. We will of course discuss this with you and advise of the fees involved.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third-parties, such as search fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. There are certain disbursements which will be set out in the individual lease relating to the Property. The disbursements which we anticipate will apply are set out separately below. This list is not exhaustive and other disbursements may apply depending on the terms of the lease. We will update you on the specific fees upon receipt and review of the lease from the seller’s solicitors.
HM Land Registry fee: £6 - £12 | Average £6
HM Land Registry registration fee: Average £20
Search fees: £178 - £350 | Average £300
VAT on search fees: £35 - £70 | Average £60
Electronic money transfer fee: £0
Estimated Sub Total: £986
Anticipated Disbursements (Leasehold only)
- Notice of Charge fee (if the property is to be mortgaged). This fee is set out in the Lease. Often the fee is between £50 - £350;
- Deed of Covenant fee - this fee is provided by the management company for the property and can be difficult to estimate. Often it is between £50 - £350;
- Certificate of Compliance fee - to be confirmed upon receipt of the lease, as can range between £50 - £350
Estimated Sub Total: £1150
*These fees vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more than the ranges given above. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents.
You should also be aware that ground rent and service charge are likely to apply throughout your ownership of the property. We will confirm the ground rent and the anticipated service charge as soon as we receive this information.
How long will my mortgage take?
How long it will take from your offer being issued to your mortgage completing will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 4–6 weeks. It can be quicker or slower, depending on the terms of the mortgage offer.
*Our fee assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction;
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complications arise;
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from the parties providing documentation;
- no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if indemnity policies are required.